Thursday, August 07, 2008

Last Day in Rome 2008

I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. Today is my last day in Rome and although I'm ready to go home, I'm sad to leave. I decided to explore my neighborhood, Trastevere, today. I wandered through its narrow, winding streets, looking in the shops, watching people at work, daydreaming about all the time I've spent here. I found a restaurant whose chalkboard beckoned me with, "We are against war and the tourist menu." A Vespa was parked in front of the counter and every word spoken around me was in Italian. I had bruschetta topped with vine-ripened tomatoes that were bursting with a sweetness that was balanced with fresh oregano. I had my last excellent cacio e pepe because I haven't quite mastered that one at home. I had the vino rosso della casa, something I would never order at home, but that beat most bottles I would order at home. Afterwards, I led Tatyana's group past the Trevi Fountain to Il Vineria di Chianti because she was craving rabbit. We had a great time telling stories of how we met our spouses and savoring our Tuscan food and wine. We made it to San Crispino just before midnight. They were about to close but welcomed us in to taste the best gelato in Rome. It was such a fun night and I'm glad Tatyana et al. live close by - South Hadley, Mass! A taxi-driver I met a few nights ago is picking me up at 8:30 to take me to the airport tomorrow and that will be that. Let me wrap it up with this quotation I read once - If Rome were a meal, or a book, or a woman, or a wrinkled, wise and ancient face, it would be the only face worth studying, the only woman worth loving, the only book worth reading, the only meal worth eating. You must go and go and go again.

No comments: